Excess Proceeds Deposits

The following notices identify excess proceeds from tax sales which have recently been deposited with the superior court. Click on the notice for more information. Under state law, only record owners and encumbrancers whose interests were extinguished by the sale are entitled to these proceeds (NOT members of the general public), and they must do so within 90 days after the court deposit. After that deadline, the unclaimed funds become the property of the State of Connecticut. If a municipality has referred you to this website in response to your inquiry about excess proceeds, then no such claimable unexpired funds exist other than any listed below. If you believe you are entitled to claim any of these excess funds, or wish to assist any such person, consult with an attorney immediately about the applicable procedures and restrictions. There is no “claim form.” Instead, you or your attorney must create a written claim to file with the court and formally serve upon all other record owners and encumbrancers. A sample form is below which may help you do so.  Do *not* send your claim to the municipality or name the municipality as a party to your claim, unless the municipality has explicitly consented in writing to participation in those proceedings.


$9,688.18 on March 28, 2017 to New Haven Superior Court
$11,788.89 on April 5, 2017 to New Britain Superior Court
$39,161.38 on May 9, 2017 to Middletown Superior Court
$22,029.68 on June 7, 2017 to Waterbury Superior Court
$90,887.05 on June 7, 2017 to Waterbury Superior Court
$132,841.71 on June 7, 2017 to Waterbury Superior Court


Sample Claim Form:  Below is a SAMPLE excess claim form which may or may not be useful in preparing your claim.  You are STRONGLY advised to consult with your own attorney about whether and how to use and customize this form to your situation.  Judges, court clerks, and local district rules may require different procedures or paperwork, so this form is not guaranteed to be appropriate for your particular claim.

Sample Application For Excess Proceeds